Mid conference UK gathering

Kevin Golding kevin at caomhin.demon.co.uk
Tue May 7 19:03:25 BST 2002

Someone, quite probably Paul Richards, once wrote:
>On Tue, 2002-05-07 at 16:10, Paul Robinson wrote:
>> On May  7, Paul Richards <paul at freebsd-services.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I personally prefer the first option since that'd be a laugh, but it
>> > depends if that's the sort of thing people on this list will go for. The
>> > last option is my least favourite since that'd be a lot of work and
>> > stress to organise and I don't fancy that at the moment, I haven't
>> > recovered from last time yet :-)
>>
>> I agree, the campsite option sounds fun. Only a couple of probs that I can
>> see that need to be worked around (knowing you, you probably already have
>> worked around them), and these are:
>>
>> if(Season == SUMMER){
>>   FamiliesWithAnnoyingKids++;
>>   Price++;
>> }
>
>I wasn't thinking of using a "holiday" campsite. They're not that
>amenable to turning up with a marquee and taking up X pitches. I was
>thinking more of finding a campsite that's more geared to this sort of
>thing, like a scout campsite or something similar. I'd encourage
>families to come along, if people have them, it's definately aimed at
>the social end of the scale this event.

Every other year a small gathering (climbing to ~1500 in recent years)
of folk have been known to descend on a friendly farm in Suffolk.  A
couple of barns with electric are around and the local brewery takes
over part of one to keep people entertained.

Since that's not happening this year I could get in touch with the
organisers and see if there's any chance of introducing us to the owners
etc. with the thoughts of taking it's place.

It's usually mid to end July, but it may be worth a phone call if
anyone's interested.

Kevin
kevin at caomhin.demon.co.uk