XFree86 4.2 & KDE3 - starting a x app from su'ed terminal... how?

Stefan Foulis newsletters.in at spiderware.ch
Sun May 5 01:39:48 BST 2002

Hi
I've encountered a little problem here.
I finally switched over to using a normal user to work with in X instead
of the far to powerful root. Was about time ;)
But sometimes I need to use root anyway... so I open a kde terminal, su
to root and start an application from there. commandline stuff works
fine like this, but starting an x-app with root privileges doesn't seem
to work.
e.g.
===

sf at clt18:~> su - root
Password:***
root at clt18:~> konqueror &
[1] 37417
root at clt18:~> Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified

konqueror: cannot connect to X server :0.0

[1]+  Exit 1                  konqueror
root at clt18:~>

===

I remember this working a few years ago on some old gnome version... but
what's wrong now?

tnx for any feedback
stefan