a few newbie questions...

Adrian Wontroba aw1 at stade.co.uk
Thu Mar 14 07:10:35 GMT 2002

On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 09:24:09PM +0000, Alex Ingram wrote:
> Finally, is there any simple way to enable resuming on downloads of
> ports, and cvsup stuff in FreeBSD? My connection has an enforced 2 hour
> cut-off which makes fetching files over 20MB in size a difficult job at
> best.

A different approach would be to buy FreeBSD Services DVD set[1][2].

One disk has all the packages.

Another has all the distributable distfiles.

You also get a complete CVS repository, which you can start off with,
after which the cvsup updates should normally fit well within your 2
hour cut off limit, particularly if you use a fast local server like
CVSup.uk.FreeBSD.org.

I used to be an always build from ports fanatic, but am beginning to see
the advantages of the packages approach.

[1]  http://www.freebsd-services.co.uk/
[2]  No financial interest here, just a satisfied customer