a few newbie questions...

Alex Ingram alex at nuttyxander.com
Wed Mar 13 19:05:56 GMT 2002

[Thanks to all who responded to me rather general query, got fairly far
now, but this is sent from my win2k installation as I was wanting to
read my newsgroups...]

In message <20020313114342.F32897 at iconoplex.co.uk>, Paul Robinson
<paul at iconoplex.co.uk> writes
>On Mar 12, Alex Ingram <nuttyxander at nuttyxander.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Annoyingly I only have a 56k modem connection to the outside world and
>> only the FreeBSD 4.5 installation CD to hand. I've used the ports
>> collection a bit to get a few things, and have set up cvsup to get me an
>> up to date ports collection.
>
>Good idea. If you have a DVD drive, and are happy with packages that are
>just a few months old (4.5-RELEASE old), then FreeBSD Services sell a DVD
>with all the packages you might need on there, meaning your connectivity
>problems shouldn't be too much of an issue any more.

Hmm, last time I checked this cost around 40 pounds plus postage, to be
honest I'd far rather spend money I don't really have (skint student) on
books I need rather than a convenient DVD that will be out of date in a
mere matter of months.

> In the longer term
>though when prices come down, broadband is a must. I have to say, when I was
>sat in front of a FreeBSD box without any real connectivity, it lost half
>it's utility to me.  I suppose I've just been lucky to have always had
>access to plenty of bandwidth.

Absolutely, but I'm currently looking at broadband on the basis of "this
year" rather than soon, most likely I'll just wait until I move home for
the summer, and by then at the latest my parents will have a cable
modem. If I'm lucky it'll be set up by the time I go home for Easter, in
which case I guess it would be wise to make the fullest use of that
bandwidth.

>> install both XFree86 3 and 4 at the same time, which I would guess is
>> not particularly good.
>
>Hmmmm. It depends on quite how you did it, but it will either 'just work' or
>it won't. If it doesn't, get rid of X, pull it back off the CD (preferably
>version 4) and start again. You can still run /stand/sysinstall and go to
>'Configure' to get FBSD to do a lot of the work for you, especially if you
>have a CD with X on it.

Hmm, well, I decided that I might as well go out on a limb and just
download all of 4.2 from xfree86.org and go from there. Worked like a
charm, and I now have a pretty much fully working X with KDE running
(it's what I'm used to from uni, though I'm probably going to experiment
with some other managers soon.

IIRC, I ran the Xinstall.sh

then XFree86 -configure
then tested the config
then added the monitor and screen definitions
then placed it in the right directory.

And it worked, I used every opportunity whilst installing X to overwrite
the old one on the grounds that the old bits of config were causing my
problems which seemed to help.

>> Also, I realised that sitting with my mp3 collection (All 48 gig of it)
>> inaccessible in FreeBSD was not helping my patience in setting it up.
>> So after some playing about I eventually arrived at:
>> mount_msdos /dev/ad1s1 /tmp to get my mp3s accessible and ready for the
>> likes of mpg123 and the nice front ends juke and mp3blaster.
>
>DO NOT DO THAT. Right, FBSD's behaviour may differ, but NEVER, EVER put
>anything in /tmp on a Unix box unless you are prepared to see it deleted.
>Never mount up an msdos partition into /tmp unless you want strange things
>happening. In fact, don't touch anything in /tmp or /var/tmp unless you know
>what you're doing. Whoever told you that /tmp was a good place to put your
>MP3 collection deserves to be taken out and shot. Or at least barred from
>ever having the status of 'Unix Wizard' - if that person already has that
>status, please forward his address so we may go and remove his pointy hat
>and magic cloak...  :-)

OK, so what you're saying is I'm not that good, yet. It was just a
guess, cos I was getting frustrated at the documentation getting
steadily more opaque as I tired. Thankfully, it was never put into
/etc/fstab so that's one to chalk up to experience, mp3 collection
emerged unscathed.

>You can mount up your partitions into directories in your home directory for
>this sort of thing. That would probably be the reccomended behaviour for
>doing what you want. And, until you have more 'nix experience, don't put
>anything in /tmp again. Trust us, you'll be glad you followed this advice.

Indeed I shall, I found some advice from the following page:
http://freebsdhowtos.com/61.html

I've taken the script there, and modified it, to some success.

Hard disks are as follows:
Primary Master
==
Win2k boot
--
FreeBSD stuff
--

Primary Slave
==

Win2k boot mounts fine as /dev/ad0s1
Music mounts fine as /dev/ad1s1

However the data partition seems not to mount as ad0s3, which is what I
would expect as FreeBSD occupies ad0s1a-h (I think).

[Snip stuff about handbook and X]

now settled on lynx-ssl built from the ports tree (managed to set up the
cvsup thing from the ports example file, and get them up to date, which
was nice).

>> Finally, is there any simple way to enable resuming on downloads of
>> ports, and cvsup stuff in FreeBSD? My connection has an enforced 2 hour
>> cut-off which makes fetching files over 20MB in size a difficult job at
>> best.
>
>Others have already posted how to adapt the behaviour of fetch. If you can
>afford a DSL modem though, the pricing of wires-only ADSL (if you live in an
>area covered) is getting almost as low as the 'free' ISPs, and you get a LOT
>more bang for your buck. Worth thinking about.

Worth it, but I currently pay 15 UKP each month split between four for
dialup. Quotes I've looked at for wires only (the only option as I leave
this flat at the end of June) are up to 100 UKP to install, plus
purchase of a modem and then around 40 quid a month. Current student
flat finances aren't going to stretch to this, annoyingly.

Anyway, now at the point where sound mostly works (KDE complains about
temp/(something)-aci not working and seems to throw up sound server
errors to it's starting TTY, X is working pretty much fine, mozilla is
installed, along with various mp3 players and some IRC clients, and I
can mount my mp3s semi-easily. So thanks, for all your help.... so far.

BTW: what's the best way (or even a good way) to get java working in
mozilla?
--
alex @ nuttyxander.com  | Everybody dies