a few newbie questions...

Robin Melville robmel at innotts.co.uk
Wed Mar 13 08:03:29 GMT 2002

At 12:50 am +0000 13/3/02, Thomas Hurst wrote:
>* Jon Schneider (jon at axismilton.ltd.uk) wrote:
>
>>  ftp (and http unbeknown to many) supports resuming of transfers
>>  so if the ports won't resume downloads out of the box it ought to
>>  be possible to grab things manually and place in the right place
>>  distfiles (?). Use a tool like wget. Actually if ports were to use
>>  wget or similar for downloading instead they would sort themselves
>>  out.
>
>No they wouldn't.
>
>fetch(1) unlinks files on any failure;

Not necessarily, fetch -rRa has worked well for me, to resume & not
unlink truncated transfers.

At 12:50 am +0000 13/3/02, Thomas Hurst wrote:
>the next time you build you'll just get a checksum
>mismatch (the file's there, but the md5 is incorrect), not a resume,
>even if you set FETCH_CMD=wget -c in make.conf.

This is correct, and a 'feature' that would be good to replace with a
resumed fetch. However it's not backbreaking to fetch the
distribution into /usr/ports/distfiles if it's required.

Robin.
--
Robin Melville, Information manager
Addiction & Forensic Information Service
email: robmel at nadt.org.uk
Pages: http://www.nadt.org.uk/