Bridging and wi devices

Jon Schneider jon at axismilton.ltd.uk
Mon Mar 4 15:00:20 GMT 2002

As I understand it there are two sorts of bridge. Somebody please
confirm or correct me.

The low level type just understands an ethernet frame, that a frame
has a MAC address and uses this to make up tables and pass
things intelligently. Works whether it is IPX, IP or whatever on top.
It must run the interface promiscuously to capture frames destined
for another MAC address.

The higher level type might understand say only IP and
manipulates ARP packets such that it takes frames for stuff on the
other side. Or does it ? I would have thought it need not be
promiscuous though this seems not to be the case.

	Jon