sshd being slow -- hardware related?

Christopher Raven c.raven at ukonline.co.uk
Sun Mar 3 15:04:35 GMT 2002

Almost invariably extended SSH login is due to malfunctioning DNS. Make
sure that your LAN has correct DNS ... if you are stuck then make sure the
login machine is listed in /etc/hosts ... your machine you are trying to
SSH to is most likely attempting to do a name lookup and failing. When the
timeout is reached it lets you in.

CR