Sending mail to Hotmail.com addresses

Tim Wiser timw at penninehealthcare.co.uk
Thu Jun 27 13:13:05 BST 2002

Hi,

I'm having problems sending email to @hotmail.com addresses for some reason.
It takes 3 mins for a message to be accepted for delivery by the server,
which is running Sendmail.  All other addresses work fine - it's just
Hotmail addresses that have this problem.  I think it's related to DNS; my
reasons being that if I telnet to the server on port 25 and try to send a
message directly that way, it takes a while to accept the "RCPT TO:
mailto:user at hotmail.com line.  This line is eventually accepted, but it can
take up to three minutes to do so.....

mail2# telnet mail2 25
Trying 9.10.0.14...
Connected to mail2.mydomain.com
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mail2.mydomain.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.11.6/8.11.6; Thu, 27 Jun 2002
20:14:55 +0100 (BST)
HELO mydomain.com
250 mail2.mydomain.com Hello mail2.mydomain.com [9.10.0.14], pleased to meet
you
MAIL FROM: me at mydomain.com
[ 1 sec delay ]
250 2.1.0 me at mydomain.com... Sender ok
RCPT TO: tim_wiser at hotmail.com
[ 2 minutes delay ]           <------------------------------- problem area!
250 2.1.5 tim_wiser at hotmail.com... Recipient ok

(Yes, I'm aware that we're using a naughty IP range... This is another task
to get sorted soon).

Can anyone throw any light on the matter??  This has been bugging me for
some time.
I've tried things like adding "hotmail.com      64.4.45.7" into the
/etc/hosts file but to no avail  :-(