restrict users

alex dyas adyas at twowaytv.co.uk
Wed Jun 26 10:45:24 BST 2002

The Maxclients directive will limit the number of Apache children the
parent will spawn, which is the same as limiting the number of
concurrent requests being serviced.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html#maxclients

However, redirecting clients who make requests after this limit is
reached is a separate matter.  A redirect will need to be serviced as a
normal request, which in turn will require an apache child, which you
don't have.  Sort of vicious circle.

One solution to this may be introducing a load balancer.  The LB could
be configured to send traffic to the main server A until it can't take
any more.  Subsequent hits to the load balancer are sent to the second
web server, on which you keep the "Busy, please come back later" page.

Of course if you put a load balancer in, you also have the option of
adding more servers to accomodate the load.

hth,

Alex..