Command History & Keyboard Setup

Brian Somers brian at Awfulhak.org
Sat Jun 22 23:59:21 BST 2002

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002 23:09:49 +0100, Lee wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> Thanks absolutly right.  The root account is set to /bin/csh and the normal
> user was using /bin/sh.
>
> What I have done now is set the default shell for the system, root & normal
> user to bash, but now I am still left with the problem of the £ sign not
> working from the console or in vi.  When typing in "ee" the pound sign works
> fine.
[.....]

Don't set root's shell to bash unless bash is statically linked and is on
the root filesystem.  If you do, single user mode will cause some confusion.
(ldd should say that /bin/bash is not a dynamic executable).

If you want a bourne shell for root, use /bin/sh (and add "set -o emacs" to
/root/.profile and /.profile).

--
Brian <brian at Awfulhak.org>                       <brian.somers at sun.com>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>                <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>