Automatically Switching of the PC when running "halt -p"

Dimitris Dimitris
Sat Jun 22 02:27:52 BST 2002

On Fri, 21 Jun 2002 18:02:03 +0100, Matthew Seaman wrote:

>apm is required so that `halt -p', or preferably `shutdown -p' will be
>able to power off your system.  Your machine has to have an APM Bios
>for this to work --- which is usually a feature of laptops rather than
>ordinary PCs.  Nb. it's better to use `shutdown' rather than `halt' as
>that gives any processes running on the machine a chance to shutdown
>gracefully and clean up after themselves.

Actualy, 'software poweroff' is implemented in a combination of
ACPI in the BIOS, ATX support on the motherboard, and an ATX powersupply.

If you want to turn off your computer via software, all you need to do is access
the ACPI/BIOS and tell it to do it.

That implies that you have an ACPI BIOS, and ATX motherboard
and an ATX power supply.

APM has nothing to do with this. Although its possible that this functionality
was implemented in the APM driver in fbsd.

þ H.I.C. & D.B.S. þ OS/2 Warp þ Hellas þ
þ ServerConfig þ ConfigEdit þ OS/2 UK UG þ

þ Sometimes i think there might be more to life þ
þ than having a really really ridiculously fast computer þ