star office - guidance if possible - last leg

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at plasm.demon.co.uk
Sat Jun 15 12:13:40 BST 2002

On Sat, Jun 15, 2002 at 02:55:49AM +0100, jimf wrote:
> All steps in previous correspondence worked a treat. However, when I
> try to start the program it always complains about not being able to
> find the sofficerc file.  This file _does_ exist in the directory
> /compat/linux/jimf/soffice52/user (linux fs) but nothing gets
> installed to /home/jimf (freebsd fs)

Good.  You're 99% of the way there.

I'm not entirely sure about the problem you're seeing now.  All I can
say is to note that you need to do a `user install' under your own
user id, as well as the `network install' done as root.  That should
create ~jimf/soffice52 and so forth.

You should have been instructed to do the user install during the
installation process - /usr/ports/editors/staroffice52/pkg-message.
If you've done that, then I'm guessing that somehow the linux-compat
layer is leading you astray.  Linux compat works (in part) by silently
pre-pending `/compat/linux' to the path of any file it needs to open,
then falling back to the original path if that fails. Somehow because
of that, it's not creating the files in your home directory, but under
/compat/linux.

Try this --- no promises that it will work:

  % cd /compat/linux/jimf
  % tar -cf - soffice52 | ( cd ~jimf ; tar -xvf - )
  % mv soffice52 soffice52.back

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
Tel: +44 1628 476614                                  Marlow
Fax: +44 0870 0522645                                 Bucks., SL7 1TH UK