FreeBSD Administration Question

rik fbsdusers at rikrose.net
Wed Jun 12 22:18:38 BST 2002

On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 08:41:20PM +0100, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> Another cool bit of monitoring software is MRTG --
> http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/ and it's in ports.
> MRTG works via SNMP, so you'll need to install net-snmp too.  It's

An alternative (and possibly preferred ) solution is RRDTool. It is
available from:
  http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/rrdtool/
It's by the same person (Tobi Oetiker), and is more powerful, flexible,
and quiker to run. It will log any data you give to it. From any source.
It will also generate graphs on demand, rather than all the time. All
you need to do is collect the data, and give it to RRDTool. This means
you can avoid installing SNMP, if you don't like it, or are concerned
about its security, or just don't like it.

I generate a bunch of graphs with RRDTool for each major kind of traffic
in and out of my hosted machine, disk space, cpu usage, number of emails
in and out of the machine, and number of port scans per day.

Literally, anything you can extract numbers for, it will graph. It does
mean writing your own data gathering scripts though, but that's not
hard. Just a few lines of perl will usually do.

rik
--
PGP Key: D2729A3F - Keyserver: wwwkeys.uk.pgp.net - rich at rdrose dot org
Key fingerprint = 5EB1 4C63 9FAD D87B 854C  3DED 1408 ED77 D272 9A3F