FreeBSD Administration Question

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at plasm.demon.co.uk
Wed Jun 12 20:41:20 BST 2002

On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 10:49:33AM +0100, Mark Stewart wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone had written or use some kind of parser
> program that reads the emailed output report and warns you of any
> problems. (e.g. Hard disk is filling up etc). I would like the
> emailed reports from all my machines to go to a specific address,
> the reports are then read by said program that creates a nice report
> flagging errors if there are any)

> This would save me reading the reports all the time and help out
> support center diagnose faults without having any real technical
> know-how.

Hmmm... The daily e-mails are really designed for human consumption.
Plus they only appear once a day.  If your requirement is to monitor
use of system resources and so forth, then try something like Big
Brother --- http://bb4.com/ --- which gives you an at-a-glance web
display of your system status, and can be configured to page you if it
finds problems.  BB is not free for commercial use, but neither is it
particularly expensive.  There are all sorts of add-ons and extensions
that people have written so you can probably find something to monitor
any aspect of your systems.  Oh, and it can generate pretty enough
reports to keep management happy.

Another cool bit of monitoring software is MRTG --
http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/ and it's in ports.
MRTG works via SNMP, so you'll need to install net-snmp too.  It's
primary purpose is to monitor the volume of network traffic, but
anything that is measurable through SNMP can be graphed (eg. disk
usage) -- http://net-snmp.sourceforge.net/tutorial/mrtg/index.html
Again, it's a web based system. Look into using RRDtool and
mrtg-rrd.cgi http://www.fi.muni.cz/~kas/mrtg-rrd/ which makes a good
addition to the basic MRTG package.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
Tel: +44 1628 476614                                  Marlow
Fax: +44 0870 0522645                                 Bucks., SL7 1TH UK