AMD K6-2 450 mhz

Paul Richards paul at freebsd-services.com
Mon Jun 10 23:53:17 BST 2002

--=-INlwW9lEINkGLcxBG3GC

On Mon, 2002-06-10 at 20:38, Frans Diergaarde wrote:
> Does somebody know if a AMD K6-2 is a i386, i486, i586 or a i686.
>=20
> This question because building my own custom kernel BSD crashes immediatl=
> after loading the kernel

When the machine boots, take a note of the stepping number. Also, if you
can take a look at the CPU, what's the code on it?

The K6-2 was not a reliable CPU, depending on which version of the chip
you have it might be complete trash. AMD screwed up some versions so
badly that the only solution was for them to replace them on demand.

I've got a K6-2 that's junk since FreeBSD *always* dies unpredictably
with it.

--=20
Paul Richards                   |  FreeBSD DVD releases and merchandise.
FreeBSD Services Ltd            |  Hardware, support and development.
http://www.freebsd-services.com |  Domain names and mail/web hosting.

--=-INlwW9lEINkGLcxBG3GC

--=-INlwW9lEINkGLcxBG3GC--