NVidia Riva TNT2 TV Out - X or Mplayer

Dave xtalsinger at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 28 16:13:16 BST 2002

Has anyone successfully got either X or MPlayer to work via the TV Out
connector of an NVidia Riva TNT2?

I'm half way there with X in that there is a display, albeit made up of
jaggy lines (wrong frequencies, obviously).  I don't really just want to
plug in any old "guesses", so if anyone would care to cut'n'paste the
relevant part of XF86Config for me, or point me to somewhere where I can
find the relevant info, I'll be a happy bunny.

The preferred solution would be to get mplayer running from the command
line with either vesa or svga driver so there's no CPU overhead with X or
the desktop running, but I've only really just started to look at that.
If there are any how-to's out there, then a URL to get me started would be
good.

Oh yeah, if it helps, I've got an ATI Mach64 with Composite Out, a Miro
somthing or other with composite/SVHS in/out and an S3 Savage (I think)
also with Composite out.

Now they've only been tested under windows but IIRC they all boot into
TV-Out mode if there's no CRT attached.  Under Windows (at least), the
Miro card can only do 640x480 to the TV.  If the TNT2 is a no go, I can
get the details of the other cards if anyone has got them to work and play
with them instead.

Linux Binary Compatability is installed and the nv driver for X is the
Linux one (The only one AFAIK for any kind of *nix)

Dave

--
xtalsinger at yahoo.com is a valid reply-to address but I don't check it every day.
For a quicker response, email replies should go to