Sendmail only sends mail when I'm on-line

Philip Pereira info at wintellect.co.uk
Sat Jul 27 12:13:32 BST 2002

Hello fellow UK FreeBSDers,

Here's one for you Sendmail smart-people!

I originally installed 4.5-RELEASE and used CVSUP to upgrade to 4.6-RELEASE.
I use ppp to connect to the Internet. I have a DNS for my LAN (it was a
learning thing). However, when I send mail (using sendmil) - it all gets put
on hold, and if I type "sendmail -Ac -q -v" I get a list of all the mail on
hold, even if it's localmail on the box with the error message:
"root... Deferred: Operation timed out with
localhost.controlyourcomputer.com."

Just to confuse you more - if I go on-line, all my mail will happily get
sent using "sendmail -Ac -q -v"; and if I then go off-line, local mail will
continue to get delivered for a further 20-30 minutes, then it goes back to
not sending it until I go back on-line! VERY WEIRD!!!!

Hope you can help me out!

Phil.