transferring all zones from one dns to another

Stefan Foulis stefan at foulis.ch
Fri Jul 19 22:03:10 BST 2002

I've got the following little problem:

 In a hosting environment I've got two dns servers, one is the
master (dns1) and the other (dns2) has a slave-zone for each and every
master zone on dns1.
dns2 is going berserk. It scrambles up it's zone files and crashes
all the time so it must be given a shot of mercy and be replaced by
something more recent. They are both running SuSE Linux (dns2 a very old
version).

I'd like to replace the servers with freeBSD machines in two steps.

1. take dns2 offline and replace it with a freeBSD box.
   the actual problem: how can I 'suck' all the zones from dns1 with
   a simple command or script without having to type in every zone by
   hand? (there are a few hundred... and I already can type with the
   ten-finger-system. no need to practice ;-)

2. doing the same thing with dns1 (replace, suck the zones back from
   dns2)

Talking about transferring all zones with one command: I'd actually
like to do that on a regular basis to keep them in sync instead of
using the classic master/slave zone concept. This is because the servers
actually always are identical anyway... so why bother adding a master zone
and then specially having to log in the secondary dns and adding
another slave zone? Bandwidth isn't an issue, because there is a
100Mbps link inbetween the two.
Of course a tool that would automatically notice if a new master-zone exists on
dns1 and add a slave-zone to dns2 would be cool too. (oh well, ok. I'm just to
lazy to log into two machines for a simple task like adding a dns-record... I
admit.:)

I hope this isn't just a RTFM issue... I have googled around and read books on
dns but couldn't find a solution for this specific problem.

tnx for any advice

stefan