Jobs.. :)

Paul Richards paul at freebsd-services.com
Fri Jul 19 14:00:32 BST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Robinson" <paul at iconoplex.co.uk>
To: "Ashley Penney" <ashp at unloved.org>
Cc: <freebsd-users at uk.freebsd.org>
Sent: Friday, July 19, 2002 12:50 PM
Subject: Re: Jobs.. :)

> On Jul 18, Ashley Penney <ashp at unloved.org> wrote:
>
> > I recently returned to the UK after six months in Canada.  I've since
been
> > looking for work, without much luck so far.  I'm planning on moving to
Kent
> > by the end of the summer, so I'm primarily looking for work in London,
and/or
> > the Kent area.
>
> Well, in my recent experience, the UNIX/Internet/ISP job market right now
is
> dead. I've never seen it so dead. I'm kinda looking at the moment as well,

Yeah, things are really bad at the moment. I'm a bit worried that the Unix
market is now saturated and also shrinking. The vast majority of corporate
web jobs I've seen recently are IIS based and the trend seems to be
increasing. There's some resistance from Java on IBM/Solaris but it's
nowhere near as common as IIS/VB/ASP.

The Netcraft survey has shown the web server market to be stagnant for at
least 12 months if not longer, i.e. the actual number of servers is not
growing and may even be shrinking slightly. Outside of the web server market
the outlook for Unix looks even gloomier since most back office systems are
now Microsoft based because the front office apps are.

The only real growth seems to be in embedded type products, app servers,
firewalls etc.

It's generally a pretty gloomy time unfortunately.

Paul.