Samba problems (will)

Rob King robking at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 18 22:18:40 BST 2002

Okay. Here's my stab at your smb.conf file. It took a wee while, so hope
it's of some help. Took me ages to work out what I was doing wrong with
mine. I don't use printers on my BSD box, so that area is a bit of
guesswork. The help I've used in the past is www.freebsdhowtos.com (see
advanced config) and www.astalavista.com - has some neat bits in it(search
for samba in each). I also apologise to all as to the length of this
posting!

MY GO AT YOUR SMB.CONF:

[global]
   workgroup = WORKGROUP
   server string = Samba Server
   netbios name = SAMBASERVER

   hosts allow = 10.10.10. 127.
# Maybe you want to add the following to hosts allow, depending on your
network setup:
#  192.168.

   security = share
   encrypt passwords = yes
# Encrypted password depends on your OS, but I believe that 98 is fine with
a registry key # mod.
   guest ok = yes

# I think your problem before was the old classic - accounts. The normal
setup for Samba # tends to leave you with user authentication. Not really
what you want on a home network, # or at a college etc...

   log level = 3
   log file = /var/log/log.%m
# The above will of course depend on your log file location... Look at these
- they really # helped me a lot when I got this baby running...
   max log size = 5000
   debug timestamp = yes

   os level = 65
   local master = yes
   preferred master = yes
   domain master = yes

# The following paragraph are optional, but I found them and included them
anyway...
   time server = yes
# Haven't quite worked this time server one out, but it does no harm!
   wins support = yes
   dns proxy = no
# This kinda depends on you - I just left mine on the default

  hide dot files = no

   veto files = /*.eml/*.nws/riched20.dll/*.{*}/
# This is really handy - on the Man network there's loadsa nimda problems
caused by careless # people and UNIX users (who aren't affected, hence don't
think about it - but spread it!). # This blocks the files that it's commonly
carried in.

[printers]
   printing = BSD
   print command = /usr/bin/lpr -r %s
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes

==============================
[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   path =
# The above is kinda important as it points Samba to the share location!
   browseable = yes
# You don't really need this line - the default is yes. Don't quite
understand why you # wouldn't want to use this.
   writeable = yes
# Up to you! Understand what you're doing though - haven't quite got mine
going yet - need to work out the correct setup/permissions

[public]
   comment = Public Stuff
   path = /usr/local/apache/htdocs
# Again, up to you
   public = yes
# Not sure you need this seeing as you're using security = share
   writeable = yes
   printable = no
# Wouldn't bother putting this in about printers
   guest ok = yes
# The above shouldn't be needed - you've already specified your options in
Global
   browseable = yes

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = yes
# Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
   public = yes

MY SMB.CONF FILE FOR REFERENCE (note how clean it is ;-) :
# Global parameters
[global]
	workgroup = MSHOME
	netbios name = BOBBYBADGER
# netbios aliases seems to just mimick the server to yet another name...
#	netbios aliases = DABADGER
	server string = The FreeBSD Badger
	remote announce = 192.168.0.255

# It all started working after security = share was included!!
	security = share
	encrypt passwords = yes
	guest ok = yes
	hosts allow = 192.168. localhost

	log level = 3
	log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
	max log size = 5000
	debug timestamp = yes

	os level = 65
	local master = yes
	preferred master = yes
	domain master = yes

# As per astalavista guide to Samba
	time server = yes
	wins support = yes
	hide dot files = no

	veto files = /*.eml/*.nws/riched20.dll/*.{*}/

[mp3]
	path = /mp3/albums
	comment = some albums
	writable = no

[uploads]
	path = /usr/home/rob/uploads
	comment = upload dump spot
	writable = yes
	read only = no

Right. Hope that helps... Try and clean up your file - it's looking very
confusing! Remember that a ; or # means that the line won't be read - so if
you don't want them for reference then delete them. Also take a backup of
each file (a simple mv smb.conf smb.conf.DATE.bak will do you). If I were
you I'd be looking to get the browsing working first (remember there are
problems with 95/98 machines and encrypted passwords - ideally try it on
2000/XP if you're looking to be browsing with Windows. Then have a closer
look at the printing as my guess may not be correct! I vaguely remember a
protocol you need to add if you're using XP so it can print to UNIX (if you
are CTRL Panel->Network Connections etc). No flaming for any of this if I'm
a bit wrong pls!!

Regards,
Rob King