slow SMP and fbsd 4.6

Dimitris Dimitris
Fri Jul 12 03:05:40 BST 2002

On 11 Jul 2002 18:31:15 +0100, Paul Richards wrote:

>Also a big factor on 4.6 will be the fact that SMP sucks :-)

that explains it ;)

>Only one CPU can be in the kernel at a time and that means all disk
>access runs on just one cpu. Given that make's are quite disk bound
>anyway you're not going to see much gain from SMP.
>Things should be a lot better when the 5.0 branch reaches production
>quality.

Since i need this machine for development work, i can't play with 5.0-Current
at the moment. I'm a patient man, i'll wait for the release at the end of this year,
if its not delayed.

þ H.I.C. & D.B.S. þ OS/2 Warp þ Hellas þ
þ ServerConfig þ ConfigEdit þ OS/2 UK UG þ

þ Sometimes i think there might be more to life þ
þ than having a really really ridiculously fast computer þ