Chilisoft ASP (Simon Dick)

Paul Richards paul at freebsd-services.com
Mon Jul 8 11:22:40 BST 2002

On Fri, 2002-07-05 at 15:05, Simon Dick wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-07-05 at 14:33, Rob King wrote:
> > >Has anyone installed Chilisoft ASP onto freeBSD and if so what version and
> > >are there any tips?
> >
> > Again, no, but out of interest why Chilisoft? I'm looking to do this some
> > time in the near future to host one of my sites that's been created in asp.
> > But I was looking to do it with Apache and p5-Apache-ASP-2.17 (in ports:
> > www/p5-Apache-ASP) which is s'posed to do the trick. Or if not, I was going
> > to convert to PHP with asp2php-0.76.5 (also in the ports collection)...
> >
> > If you're not using these, is there any reason I should be aware of? With
> > Apache being my current webserver demon, it seemed sensible to just mod
> > it...
>
> Mainly due to the fact that what most people call ASP is just a way of
> embedding languages into web pages, AFAIR the p5-Apache-ASP just lets
> you embed perl into ASP pages (I did look at it :). For "proper" ASP
> usage you need something that supports VBScript and Jscript (from
> memory), and I only know two programs which do that, Chilisoft (now
> known as Sun ONE ASP) and iASP ( http://www.halcyonsoft.com/ ) which
> costs around $999 per server but works very nicely with apache going by
> the trial version I used on my 4.6 box.

I've got to ask, why the burning desire to use VBScript (or Jscript) as
your embedded language rather than Perl?

The p5-Apache-ASP modules supports the Microsoft ASP methodology, which
actually supports any language, just like the Apache module. The
scripting language is not part of the implementation of ASP.

You can use Perl in Microsoft's ASP too, which is very much my preferred
option for using ASP on Windows.

ASP is actually more flexible in that regard, I think Cold Fusion uses
it's own language.

It might not be that long before we have VBScript for FreeBSD anyway, as
part of the C# implementation.

--
Paul Richards                   |
FreeBSD Services Ltd            | Order 4.6 on DVD now.