Boot loader down and I'm lost

Jon Schneider jon at axismilton.ltd.uk
Thu Jan 31 12:10:00 GMT 2002

For one reason or another I need to reinstate the boot loader. That
is F2 just beeps or following the upgrade below says "read error"
and reboots.

I've even done the 4.4 to 4.5 upgrade, using floppies and
downloaded install iso hoping the boot loader would be sorted in
the process but it wasn't.

How is it that despite loading through kern and mfsroot the
emergency holographic shell is just a shell with absolutely no
commands ?

The fixit floppy. Is it too much to ask that a single floppy boots with
fixit type tools ? The README says to boot with kern first. And
then put in fixit instead of mfsroot ? Incidentally the README still
mentions the wd rather than ad device which I seem to remember
was something I fought with at my last upgrade.

Contrast with OpenBSD. The install floppy's shell has everything
you need to fix a machine, use the network, ftp stuff, fix the boot
loader (which itself has just enough built in help).

Maybe FreeBSD has a forth driven all singing and dancing super
duper configurable boot loader but it just looses me. It is just
screaming to be dumped, to me anyway.

So despite more than a decade of various other unixes, rebuilding
and swapping disks about, much playing with Sun hardware, I have
to ask how to get a useful shell and how to fix my FreeBSD boot
loader.

	Jon