Intro and query with configuration of device ata0 at 0x1F0 irq14 on atapci0

greadey anything at greadey.uklinux.net
Tue Jan 22 20:53:55 GMT 2002

Hello to everyone on this list.  Let me introduce myself before I dive
into asking questions :-).  I live in S. Wales and have been using Linux
at home on and off for about 18 months before I got rid of Windoze all
together (about four months ago).  To slake my thirst for new
experiences I obtained a copy of 4.4 FreeBSD and installed it without a
hitch (blimey what a pleasant surprise I thought).  Next job, recompile
a new kernel - so that is where I am at now.  I need to do this to get
my modem working on "COM4", and while I'm at it I want to get all my
other devices hardwired into the kernel.  This is where my problem lies,

I have a  problem configuring the following lines in the configuration
file;

device    ata0 at isa? port IO_WD1 IRQ14
device    ata1 at isa? port IO_WD2 IRQ15

when I look at my dmesg.boot file I see the following related to the
ata0 and ata1 devices;

isa0 on isab0 at device 7.0 on pci0 # I mention this for context
atapci0 port 0xe000-0xe00f at device 7.1 on pci0
ata0 at 0x1F0 irq14 on atapci0
ata1 at 0x170 irq15 on atapci0.

Now I presume that IO_WD1 == 0x1F0 and IO_WD2 == 0x170 so no problem
there.  My LINT file mentions the configuration of an rp device and it
says that if the rp device is on the pci bus then it is sufficient just
to configure it as

device rp

Can I make the same assumption with my ata0 and ata1 devices and
configure them as;

device ata0
device ata1; or even just

device ata.

I'd be grateful if someone would clear this up for me since I want to
nail down as much aspossible before I start experimenting with various
options etc.

thanks in advance,

greadey.