Pan on Linux magazine disk December 2001

Peter James p_f_james at lineone.net
Mon Jan 21 19:08:55 GMT 2002

I've got a copy of the Linux Magazine disk dated December 2001.  It
includes Open Office, and Pan.  Can I install these programmes under
FreeBSD ver 4.3.  If yes, how?
I assume that the files I need are in tar.gz format.  FreeBSD will not let
me install them.  I keep getting told that the files are in read only
format.  Is it normal to have to re-set the permissions before installing
software in this way, or is the system just telling me that the programmes
are not suitable for use with this version of FreeBSD

Peter James