FreeBSD Linux emulator and ATAPI-CDROM conflict?

CB ecliptica.ww at virgin.net
Tue Jan 15 17:26:42 GMT 2002

------=_NextPart_000_0030_01C19DE9.CC298B20

With all thanks due to Joe, Dominic and others on the UK users list, =
also to Kris and Ruslan on the FreeBSD-questions list, I'm delighted to =
report that I have now successfully upgraded from 4.0 to 4.1 using cvsup =
and the "make" sequence. Please form an orderly Q for pints the next =
time I manage to make it to a social!

Part of the problem was certainly the linux emulator. After encountering =
the  "Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode" during bootup yet =
again, I went into /etc/rc.conf and disabled it; subsequent boots have =
been sweet as a nut.

The first time I successfully logged in with version 4.1 I tried the CD =
ROM drive with "mount /cdrom" and it worked fine. I was able to "cd =
/cdrom" and "ls" to see the files on a CD, then "cd /root" and "umount =
/cdrom", everything working exactly as I would expect.

One of the things I want to do is install StarOffice 5.2 though, and to =
do that (if I understand correctly) I need to be running the Linux =
emulator. I thought to do this by typing "linux" at a shell prompt and =
it seemed to start - at least I got the prompt back with no error =
message.

I put the StarOffice CD in the drive and closed it, did "mount /cdrom" =
as before, and got:
cd 9660: device busy

then tried "umount /cdrom" and got:
umount: /cdrom: not currently mounted

right back to the same old problem I posted on the UK users list around =
New Year, the attempt to solve which having been the reason for the =
upgrade from FreeBSD 4.0.

I rebooted the box (without the linux emulator), but it still seems to =
be locked now into this CD ROM problem.

Is it possible that running the linux emulator just once could have =
misconfigured something in the ATAPI-CDROM driver file(s)?

The cure would appear to be a complete system rebuild and boot without =
the linux emulator.

I can save any relevant files now (if someone might suggest which), then =
do another pass through the "make world" process, then compare the =
rebuilt files with the saved ones to try and isolate the problem.

The Makefile in /usr/src/sys/modules/linux appears to identify the =
emulator version as v 1.34.2.1 2000/07/07. Is there a more recent =
version included with later FreeBSD 4.x releases?

Thanks for any help.
Charles

------=_NextPart_000_0030_01C19DE9.CC298B20

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>With all thanks due to Joe, Dominic and =
others on=20
the UK users list, also to Kris and Ruslan on the FreeBSD-questions =
list, I'm=20
delighted to report that I have now successfully upgraded from 4.0 to =
4.1 using=20
cvsup and the "make" sequence. Please form an orderly Q for pints the =
next time=20
I manage to make it to a social!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Part of the problem was certainly the =
linux=20
emulator. After encountering the&nbsp; "Fatal trap 12: page fault while =
in=20
kernel mode" during bootup yet again, I went into /etc/rc.conf and =
disabled it;=20
subsequent boots have been sweet as a nut.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The first time I successfully logged in =
with=20
version 4.1 I tried the CD ROM drive with "mount /cdrom" and it worked =
fine. I=20
was able to "cd /cdrom" and "ls" to see the files on a CD, then "cd =
/root" and=20
"umount /cdrom", everything working exactly as I would =
expect.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>One of the things I want to do is =
install=20
StarOffice 5.2 though, and to do that (if I understand correctly) I need =
to be=20
running the Linux emulator. I thought to do this by typing "linux" at a =
shell=20
prompt and it seemed to start - at least I got the prompt back with no =
error=20
message.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I put the StarOffice CD in the drive =
and closed it,=20
did "mount /cdrom" as before, and got:<BR>cd 9660: device =
busy</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>then tried "umount /cdrom" and =
got:<BR>umount:=20
/cdrom: not currently mounted</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>right back to the same old problem I =
posted on the=20
UK users list around New Year, the attempt to solve which having been =
the reason=20
for the upgrade from FreeBSD 4.0.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I rebooted the box (without the linux =
emulator),=20
but it still seems to be locked now into this CD ROM =
problem.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Is it possible that running the linux =
emulator just=20
once could have misconfigured something in the ATAPI-CDROM driver=20
file(s)?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The cure would appear to be a complete =
system=20
rebuild and boot without the linux emulator.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I can save any relevant files now (if =
someone might=20
suggest which), then do another pass through the "make world" process, =
then=20
compare the rebuilt files with the saved ones to try and isolate the=20
problem.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The Makefile in =
/usr/src/sys/modules/linux appears=20
to identify the emulator version as v 1.34.2.1 2000/07/07. Is there a =
more=20
recent version included with later FreeBSD 4.x releases?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks for any=20
help.<BR>Charles<BR></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0030_01C19DE9.CC298B20--