a few quick kernel upgrading questions.

Josef Karthauser joe at tao.org.uk
Tue Jan 15 10:02:44 GMT 2002

--CE+1k2dSO48ffgeK

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 01:44:12AM +0000, Andrew Boothman wrote:
> Josef Karthauser wrote
>=20
>  >
>  >Yes, this is a good order.
>  >
> I remember someone saying that you should build, install and boot (into
> single-user maybe) your new kernel before installing the world to ensure
> the new kernel operates correctly before installing the world for it. I
> do this myself as I think it would be easier to back out the kernel if
> it doesn't work, then have to try and back out your complete installworld.
>=20
> Thus my usual order is
>=20
> make buildworld
> make buildkernel
> make installkernel
> reboot (boot -s)
> make installworld
> mergemaster
> reboot (normally)
>=20
> Any other thoughts anyone?

I've upgraded countless machines, most of which were live 24by7 servers.
The problem with what you suggest is that it can't be done very easily
remotely, so I usually don't bother, and install the kernel last.
[Remember to read /usr/src/UPDATING though, because rarely that
doesn't work and it's usually documented]

Joe
I usually don't b
>=20
>=20