nvidia and xfree86 4.1.0

Michael Pye michael at ulimit.org
Tue Jan 15 09:42:48 GMT 2002

On Mon, 14 Jan 2002 15:18:38 +0000, Michael Pye wrote:
>The x session that starts however is just lots of yellow lines on the
>display, and I have to ctrl-alt-backspace to quit.=20

Well I figured it out - the DVI does indeed make a difference. The
regular 'nv' driver supplied with xfree86 4.1.0 does work as long as
as the video card and monitor are connected using regular dsub vga
connector. As soon as I switch to DVI it no longer works. Apparently
DVI modes of video cards are different, and the driver has to support
them, which 'nv' currently does not.

I read that the nvidia driver for linux supplied by nvidia themselves
does work with dvi, and there is a freebsd wrapper for it at:
http://nvidia.netexplorer.org/

tried this and it works in FreeBSD 4.4/xfree86 4.1.0 using DVI.

--
Michael Pye