Benchmarks, FreeBSD Vs whoever thinks their hard enough :)

Dominic Marks dominic_marks at btinternet.com
Tue Jan 15 08:32:49 GMT 2002

On Tuesday 15 January 2002 7:45 am, William Cooper wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm currently looking for updated documents on benchmarks with
> FreeBSD Vs Linux or whatever operating system, all I have found so
> far is old benchmarks which are very outdated, that or they just
> don’t have enough pure stats, or just aload of blabber.
>
> Any links/comments welcome!
>
> Regards,
>
> William Cooper

All benchmarking reviews I've ever read (or nearly all) are horribly
biased one way or the other. Or if they are testing a group right
from the outset you see they want one of the group to fail miserably
and one of the group to crush the other ones.

The best thing to do is do your own. On a free machine install
FreeBSD and run a series of tests (after tuning of course), have a
look in /usr/ports/benchmarks/ for suitable ones. Then run the same
tests on Linux and compare. Perhaps you could even publish it ? :)

I did this when choosing which system FreeBSD or Linux to pursue. I
got benchmark results for FreeBSD, but couldnt get the Linux box to
stay up long enough to complete the same tests. Easy choice :)

--
Dominic