Fatal Trap 12 problem after mergemaster crash

CB ecliptica.ww at virgin.net
Sat Jan 12 19:24:51 GMT 2002

------=_NextPart_000_0019_01C19B9E.CEDCCF00

Yesterday I successfully did "make buildworld" and "make installworld" =
on cvsup'd files to upgrade from FreeBSD 4.0 to 4.1 but haven't been =
able to boot with the upgradfed system yet.

Following the guidance in the current manual #19.4.10 of "Using make =
world" I ran "mergemaster" to update files not updated by "make world".

Sadly this crashed the machine - the symptom being a  screen full of =
what looked like program source code, and any keypress just causing =
another line of code to scroll up onto the screen with an inverse (black =
text on white) byte count in the bottom left hand corner.

I could not find any way to get out of this, and eventually power-cycled =
the box. (I probably should have been wary as the handbook guidance may =
have changed since version 4.0 to 4.1 upgrades)

Now I can't get it to boot up properly. After the usual final bootup =
message before the login prompt, which is:

Initial rc.i386 initialisation: linux

launching the linux emulator, instead of the login prompt I get:

fault virtual address =3D 0x3
fault code    =3D supervisor read, page not present
instruction number  =3D 0x8:0xc0287e74
stack pointer   =3D 0x10:0xc870798c
frame pointer   =3D 0x10:0xc870798c
code segment   =3D base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
      =3D DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags  =3D interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL =3D 0
current process   =3D 167 (sh)
interrupt mask   =3D none
trap number    =3D 12
panic: page fault

syncing disks... 42 42 35 21 6
done
Uptime: 2m57s
Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort
--

It may not be helping that the system is effectively in mid-upgrade. =
Trying to boot from a saved /kernel.prev gets to:

mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
WARNING: / was not properly dismounted
swapon: adding /dev/ad0s1b as swap device
Automatic reboot in progress...
/dev/ad0s1a: 1648 files ......

it sticks there for long enough to allow me to transcribe that far, with =
the hard drive continuously active, then it continues the boot process =
before giving the Fatal Trap 12 message above. trying a boot with =
/kernel.GENERIC does the same thing, though I notice it is identified as =
4.0 in the bootup script.

Does anybody know what the just-made Version 4.1 kernel would be called =
and/or where it would be saved at this stage of the upgrade process? =
When first rooted the system says in cannot find /kernel or /kernel.old =
and offers me an "ok" prompt from where I can boot with a named kernel =
file.

Much hoping I don't have to trash the system back to a total wipeout and =
re-install.

Many thanks for any help.
Charles

------=_NextPart_000_0019_01C19B9E.CEDCCF00

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Yesterday I successfully did "make =
buildworld" and=20
"make installworld" on cvsup'd files to upgrade from FreeBSD 4.0 to 4.1 =
but=20
haven't been able to boot with the upgradfed system yet.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Following the guidance in the current =
manual=20
#19.4.10 of "Using make world" I ran "mergemaster" to update files not =
updated=20
by "make world".</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Sadly this crashed the machine - the =
symptom being=20
a&nbsp; screen full of what looked like program source code, and any =
keypress=20
just causing another line of code to scroll up onto the screen with an =
inverse=20
(black text on white) byte count in the bottom left hand =
corner.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I could not find any way to get out of =
this, and=20
eventually power-cycled the box. (I probably should have been wary as =
the=20
handbook guidance may have changed since version 4.0 to 4.1=20
upgrades)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Now I can't get it to boot up properly. =
After the=20
usual final bootup message before the login prompt, which =
is:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Initial rc.i386 initialisation: =
linux</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>launching the linux emulator, instead =
of the login=20
prompt I get:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Fatal trap 12: page fault while in =
kernel=20
mode<BR>fault virtual address&nbsp;=3D 0x3<BR>fault =
code&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=3D=20
supervisor read, page not present<BR>instruction number&nbsp;&nbsp;=3D=20
0x8:0xc0287e74<BR>stack pointer&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=3D =
0x10:0xc870798c<BR>frame=20
pointer&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=3D 0x10:0xc870798c<BR>code =
segment&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=3D=20
base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type =
0x1b<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=3D DPL=20
0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1<BR>processor eflags&nbsp;&nbsp;=3D interrupt =
enabled,=20
resume, IOPL =3D 0<BR>current process&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=3D 167 =
(sh)<BR>interrupt=20
mask&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=3D none<BR>trap number &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=3D =
12<BR>panic:=20
page fault</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>syncing disks... 42 42 35 21 =
6<BR>done<BR>Uptime:=20
2m57s<BR>Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to=20
abort<BR>--</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>It may not be helping that the system =
is=20
effectively in mid-upgrade. Trying to boot from a saved /kernel.prev =
gets=20
to:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>mounting root from =
ufs:/dev/ad0s1a<BR>WARNING: /=20
was not properly dismounted<BR>swapon: adding /dev/ad0s1b as swap=20
device<BR>Automatic reboot in progress...<BR>/dev/ad0s1a: 1648 files=20
......</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>it sticks there for long enough to =
allow me to=20
transcribe that far, with the hard drive continuously active, then it =
continues=20
the boot process before giving the Fatal Trap 12 message above. trying a =
boot=20
with /kernel.GENERIC does the same thing, though I notice it is =
identified as=20
4.0 in the bootup script.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Does anybody know what the just-made =
Version 4.1=20
kernel would be called and/or where it would be saved at this stage of =
the=20
upgrade process? When first rooted the system says in cannot find =
/kernel or=20
/kernel.old and offers me an "ok" prompt from where I can boot with a =
named=20
kernel file.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Much hoping I don't have to trash the =
system back=20
to a total wipeout and re-install.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Many thanks for any =
help.<BR>Charles</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0019_01C19B9E.CEDCCF00--