ELF binary type error during "make buildworld"

John Rochester john at jrochester.org
Sat Jan 5 01:03:58 GMT 2002

--------------060708010001080308030007

CB wrote:

>  Following the advice of the Handbook #19.4 "Using make world", I
> initiated a script file and set the machine to work doing a "make
> buildworld". For over two hours all appeared to go fine until it
> bombed at:
>

> cc -nostdinc -0 -pipe
> -I/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/perl/../../../../contrib/perl5
> -I/usr/obj/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/perl
> -I/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/include -c perlmain.c
> ELF binary type not known. Use "brandelf" to brand it.
> Abort trap
> *** Error code 134
> Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/perl.
> *** Error code 1
> Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl.
> *** Error code 1
> Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin.
> *** Error code 1
> Stop in /usr/src/gnu.
> *** Error code 1
> Stop in /usr/src.
> *** Error code 1
> Stop in /usr/src.
> # exit
>

> This seems to be the compiler having a problem with the source file
> perlmain.c

This was actually the kernel complaining that it couldn't determine what
system (FreeBSD/Linux/...) the program it was trying to run was compiled
for.  This is most likely due to a change in how the compiler writes
this "branding" information.  A little more context on the build would
be useful - was this the first attempt at running a new cc that it had
just built?

Anyway, this has nothing to do with perlmain.c.

Does anybody else know if there are any problems with updating directly
from 4.0-RELEASE to 4.5-PRERELEASE?  I had a look at UPDATING, but
couldn't see anything particularly relevant.

--
John Rochester              Software Architect, Merus Software Ltd.
Tel: +44 7870 174690        http://merus.co.uk

--------------060708010001080308030007

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
CB wrote:<br>

#19.4 "Using  make world", I initiated a script file and set the machine
to work doing a "make  buildworld". For over two hours all appeared to go
fine until it bombed  at:</font></div>

 -I/usr/obj/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/perl -I/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/include
-c  perlmain.c<br>
ELF binary type not known. Use "brandelf" to brand it.<br>
Abort  trap<br>
*** Error code 134<br>
Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/perl.<br>
***  Error code 1<br>
Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl.<br>
*** Error code 1<br>
Stop  in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin.<br>
*** Error code 1<br>
Stop in /usr/src/gnu.<br>
***  Error code 1<br>
Stop in /usr/src.<br>
*** Error code 1<br>
Stop in /usr/src.<br>
#  exit</font></div>

problem with  the source file perlmain.c</font></div>
  <tt>This was actually the kernel complaining that it couldn't determine
what system (FreeBSD/Linux/...) the program it was trying to run was compiled
for. &nbsp;This is most likely due to a change in how the compiler writes this
"branding" information. &nbsp;A little more context on the build would be useful
- was this the first attempt at running a new cc that it had just built?<br>
Anyway, this has nothing to do with perlmain.c.<br>
Does anybody else know if there are any problems with updating directly from
4.0-RELEASE to 4.5-PRERELEASE? &nbsp;I had a look at UPDATING, but couldn't see
anything particularly relevant.<br>
  </tt><br>

 /usr/obj/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/perl<br>
and having checked the man page for  "brandelf" tried running the command<br>
brandelf -t FreeBSD perlmain.c<br>
from  within that directory.</font></div>

brandelf: file 'perlmain.c' is not  in ELF format</font></div>

with the -f  command line switch (forces branding).</font></div>

 encountered?<br>
Am I doing something wrong?<br>
Is there an easy fix?<br>
Are  other files likely to be similarly affected?<br>
If I fix/replace this file will  "make buildworld" insist on running through
the whole performance again from the  beginning or can it pick up where it
left off?</font></div>

Charles</font></div>