ppp and cvsup - some progress

John Rochester john at jrochester.org
Thu Jan 3 18:47:25 GMT 2002

--------------010003000100010803020700

CB wrote:

> Hi - many thanks to Paul Robinson and John Rochester for most helpful
> advice on getting ppp working.
>

> Following your advice I started from scratch using a clean copy of the
> ppp.conf sample and managed to get connected OK; initially to the
> number Paul suggested using uid & pw "fbsduktest". With that working
> OK, I found I could substitute the phone number, uid & pw I use for
> Virgin and connect OK, and then to my 0800 ntlworld account. I was
> pleasantly surprised in particular to find the connection to ntl's
> 0800 number working, as when I used to do tech support for them, the
> standard line was that it simply was not possible to log in to
> ntlworld from anything other than an MS Win platform.
>

> From there I was able to run cvsup using the "secure-supfile" they
> recommend for non-USA/Canada users, and it chuntered away for a good
> hour or so checkout-ing files and eventually appeared to complete
> normally.

As this file doesn't exist any more in more recent versions of FreeBSD,
please refresh our memory by attaching a copy in a reply.  Most people
use cvsup to directly update to the latest source code instead of
keeping a copy of the cvs tree locally.  The difference is in the
   *default release=cvs
line - if it has a tag=RELENG_4 on it, you are updating to the lastest
source and don't need to run cvs afterwards, otherwise you are getting a
copy of the entire cvs repository.

In the latter case, you probably want to have a
    *default prefix=...
that is somewhere other than /usr, or it will have written your cvs
repository files (the names end in ,v) into the same directories as your
sources.

> The next step (as I read the documentation) is to run "cvs" to update
> the source tree. The most appropriate command line appears to be:
>
> cvs update -P -d
>
> and I appreciate that this requires the $CVSROOT environment variable
> to be set.
>

> I have tried setting $CVSROOT=/usr and then $CVSROOT=/usr/src but
> neither appears to allow cvs to work.

First, I hope you aren't actually typing the $ when attempting to change
the value of CVSROOT - it won't work.  Secondly, the value you want here
is whatever was in the prefix of your supfile.  (Assuming you didn't
have a tag=... on the release line)

--
John Rochester              Senior Java Developer, Merus Software Ltd.
Tel: +44 7870 174690        http://merus.co.uk

--------------010003000100010803020700

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
CB wrote:<br>

John  Rochester for most helpful advice on getting ppp working.</font></div>

using  a clean copy of the ppp.conf sample and managed to get connected OK;
initially  to the number Paul suggested using uid &amp; pw "fbsduktest".
With that working  OK, I found I could substitute the phone number, uid &amp;
pw I use for Virgin  and connect OK, and then to my 0800 ntlworld account.
I was pleasantly surprised  in particular to find the connection to ntl's
0800 number working, as when I  used to do tech support for them, the standard
line was that it simply was not  possible to log in to ntlworld from anything
other than an MS Win  platform.</font></div>

the  "secure-supfile" they recommend for non-USA/Canada users, and it chuntered
away  for a good hour or so checkout-ing files and eventually appeared to
complete  normally.</font></div>
  <tt>As this file doesn't exist any more in more recent versions of FreeBSD,
please refresh our memory by attaching a copy in a reply. &nbsp;Most people use
cvsup to directly update to the latest source code instead of keeping a copy
of the cvs tree locally. &nbsp;The difference is in the<br>
&nbsp; &nbsp;*default release=cvs<br>
line - if it has a tag=RELENG_4 on it, you are updating to the lastest source
and don't need to run cvs afterwards, otherwise you are getting a copy of
the entire cvs repository.<br>
In the latter case, you probably want to have a<br>
&nbsp; &nbsp; *default prefix=...<br>
that is somewhere other than /usr, or it will have written your cvs<br>
repository files (the names end in ,v) into the same directories as your
sources.<br>
  </tt>

is to  run "cvs" to update the source tree. The most appropriate command
line appears  to be:</font></div>

the $CVSROOT  environment variable to be set.</font></div>

then  $CVSROOT=/usr/src but neither appears to allow cvs to work.</font></div>
    <tt>First, I hope you aren't actually typing the $ when attempting to
change the value of CVSROOT - it won't work. &nbsp;Secondly, the value you want
here is whatever was in the prefix of your supfile. &nbsp;(Assuming you didn't
have a tag=... on the release line)</tt><br>

of updating  via cvsup suggest an alternative cvs command line and/or value
for $CVSROOT  which might assist in progressing further with the procedure.</font></div>