broadband from a dish, *BSD Support?

Paul Robinson paul at iconoplex.co.uk
Thu Jan 3 13:19:13 GMT 2002

On Jan  2, Aled Morris <aledm at qix.co.uk> wrote:

> Hope I haven't got my sums wrong here :-)

Probably not, but your figures are still wrong. On average, a transatlantic
satellite feed has a latency of around 200ms round-trip - not one way. It's
about the same latency as a modem really. Or just over.

Interesting debate though is the way broadband has been sold which brings
latency into the equation. It has been hyped as a sort of
'rich-media-enabler' suggesting that latency isn't a problem providing you
can get a shedload of bits down every second. In actual fact, they would
have had a more successful campaign if they had addressed latnecy - that
broadband seems faster to most surfers not because of the millions of bits
per second but the thousands of bits in thousandths of a second.

Anyway, I'm babbling now. I'll just go and hide under a rock somewhere. :-)

--
Paul Robinson