broadband from a dish, *BSD Support?

Aled Morris aledm at qix.co.uk
Wed Jan 2 20:27:28 GMT 2002

On Wed, 2 Jan 2002, William Cooper wrote:

>Well I've been looking at a service from
>http://www.bridgebroadband.co.uk/
>they can offer me a 512/128 and higher service through a dish, the first
>two products
>they offer are 'SoHo' which has 512 down, 128 up, =A3159 p/m , one fixed
>IP , but one fault is it
>comes as a USB device as far as I know and they don't have any *BSD
>support,

Can't help with the FreeBSD support, but I'd be interested to know how it
performs.

BT are also launching a satellite "broadband" service for those of us who
live out in the sticks with not even a smell of ADSL or cable.
http://www.btopenworld.com/satellite/

My main concern would be latency.  With a up-down trip in excess of
70,000km you're talking a minimum 250ms one-way latency, 500ms round trip
pings.  Worse if the radio waves don't achieve close to the speed of light
(which they don't of course - could be as bad as 0.6c which would make
your pings nearly 800ms round trip)

Hope I haven't got my sums wrong here :-)

Aled
--=20
        ++  Amazingly fast server hosting in Telehouse, London  ++
        ++             http://www.qix.co.uk/colo/               ++