ppp setup and cvsupit.tgz

CB ecliptica.ww at virgin.net
Wed Jan 2 15:57:01 GMT 2002

------=_NextPart_000_000B_01C193A6.1DA21420

Thanks John for your suggestions on getting ppp configured. I still =
can't get ppp to work automatically - just responds with "chat script =
failed". Nontheless, since I can connect manually using "term" from =
within a ppp session to connect to my ISP, I tried running "cvsup" using =
the "cvsupit.tgz" file available on a download link from the FreeBSD =
website.

I copied the "cvsupit.tgz" file into the FreeBSD box OK, and tried =
running it as suggested using
"pkg_add cvsupit.tgz", with the PPP session having been initiated in =
another tty.

It looks as if it is all running fine with a screen display which looks =
similar to /stand/sysinstall, I select the appropriate options - using =
compression (56kbps), UK server, etc - the program appears to be trying =
to start updating the files (judging from the screen message - which I =
didn't note down), but there is no hard-drive activity, and (almost) =
everything seems to lock up - I can change between the tty screens using =
Alt+F1 and Alt+F2, but there is no way I can find to regain control of =
the machine. Eventually I had to reboot using the reset button - with =
consequent distress to the installation, now happily cleaned up with =
"fsck".

What am I doing wrong??
Is there an "escape" from cvsupit if it locks up again? - I tried Ctrl+C =
and pretty much all the other standard get-outs I could think of, but =
none appeared to work. I found I couldn't log in on a third tty to =
initiate a clean shutdown either.

Many thanks for any helpful suggestions.
Charles

------=_NextPart_000_000B_01C193A6.1DA21420

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks John for your suggestions on =
getting ppp=20
configured. I still can't get&nbsp;ppp to work automatically - just =
responds=20
with "chat script failed". Nontheless, since I can connect manually =
using "term"=20
from within a ppp session to connect to my ISP, I tried running "cvsup" =
using=20
the "cvsupit.tgz" file available on a download link from the FreeBSD=20
website.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I copied the "cvsupit.tgz" file into =
the FreeBSD=20
box OK, and tried running it as suggested using</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>"pkg_add cvsupit.tgz", with the PPP =
session having=20
been initiated in another tty.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>It looks as if it is all running fine =
with a screen=20
display which looks similar to /stand/sysinstall, I select the =
appropriate=20
options - using compression (56kbps), UK server, etc - the program =
appears to be=20
trying to start updating the files (judging from the screen message - =
which I=20
didn't note down), but there is no hard-drive activity, and (almost) =
everything=20
seems to lock up - I can change between the tty screens using Alt+F1 and =
Alt+F2,=20
but there is no way I can find to regain control of the machine. =
Eventually I=20
had to reboot using the reset button - with consequent distress to the=20
installation, now happily cleaned up with "fsck".</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>What&nbsp;am I doing =
wrong??</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Is there an "escape" from cvsupit if it =
locks up=20
again? - I tried Ctrl+C and pretty much all the other standard get-outs =
I could=20
think of, but none appeared to work. I found I couldn't log in on a =
third tty to=20
initiate a clean shutdown either.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Many thanks for any helpful=20
suggestions.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Charles</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000B_01C193A6.1DA21420--