sysinstall bashing

Jon Schneider jon at axismilton.ltd.uk
Sat Feb 23 15:19:23 GMT 2002

Having downloaded and created all of the 4.5 discs I am staggered
to learn that in order to install packages with sysinstall you have to
know which one has the package you want before starting
sysinstall. I don't know what happens if there are dependancies for
something on other CDs.

Shouldn't sysinstall present a complete list of 4.5 packages, know
what's where on disc1/disc3/disc4, prompt for them intelligently
while trying to minimise media changes ? It might be nice if this
intelligence was built into pkg_add so I could do

pkg_add --i-have-all-the-cds something
or
pkg_add --i-have-just-cd1-fall-back-to-a-uk-ftp-server something

Am I missing something ?

In the meantime I guess I need to grab the list of each and keep
them handy. Or just collect the packages I might want for an install
soon on another CD.

So maybe using an ftp site is easier after all given the bandwidth.
Would it be too much to ask that sysinstall remembers that I like
to use maybe-passive ftp to ftp<n>.uk.free... or do I need to write a
sysinstall script to achieve that ?

I am aware of the PKG_PATH environment variable and that
sysinstall has a script thing.

	Jon