Power off on shutdown -h

Robin Melville robmel at innotts.co.uk
Sat Feb 23 10:40:53 GMT 2002

At 12:17 am +0000 23/2/02, Josef Karthauser wrote:

>*** PGP Signature Status: good, but key has unknown validity
>*** Signer: Josef Karthauser <joe at tao.org.uk>
>*** Signed: 23/2/02 at 12:17 am
>*** Verified: 23/2/02 at 10:37 am
>
>On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 11:00:17PM +0000, Ben Paley wrote:
>>  Hello,
>>	I've been trawling documentation and newsgroups for a while,
>>but I don't
>>  really know where to look - I want to make my machine turn itself off on
>>
>>  shutdown -h now
>>
>>  If I turn it off by hand at the switch then, when it boots next time, the
>>  BIOS thinks it's corrupted and spends ages sorting itself out (dual BIOS).
>>  The other solution is to do
>>
>>  shutdown -r now
>>
>>  and reboot to Windows and shut down from there... unsatisfactory, I think
>>  you'll agree. Can someone point me in the direction of something useful?
>
>Yes, shutdown -p now should do it, but you may need APM compiled into
>the kernel for it to work.
>
>Joe
> oe

Oh, and apm_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf. Took me a while to spot that sucker.

Incidentally Joe, this PGP thing you do drives me nuts. I have to
reconnect to the internet to read your messages. Mostly I don't
bother.

Robin.

--
Robin Melville, Information manager
Addiction & Forensic Information Service
email: robmel at nadt.org.uk
Pages: http://www.nadt.org.uk/