My bad luck installing kde

Peter McGarvey pmcgarvey at vianetworks.co.uk
Tue Feb 12 16:00:58 GMT 2002

On Tuesday 12 February 2002 15:42 pm, Natalie Ford wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 03:06:49PM +0000, Michael Pye wrote:
> > I don't want to start a 'gnome vs kde' war, or even tell you to switch
> > (as you appear to have invested considerable time in attempting to get
> > kde working), but why kde as oppose to gnome ?
> > FreeBSD core team seem to be promoting gnome , i.e.
> > http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/
> > I found it fairly easy to gnome running on 4.4 by installing the gnome
> > meta-package from the cd.
>
> Oh, don't get me wrong, I like (prefer?) gnome.  I have an app that
> I want to use that is written for kde, though, called quanta...
>
> http://quanta.sourceforge.net/

Okay, so I'm a KDE bigot. :)

But, there is some nice stuff out there for GNOME.  Which I run anyway in
KDE.  Just need the GNOME libraries.  And as it's just part of GNOME I'm
using, and I'm not going to be using it for my desktop, I don't feel I
have to install from source.

So I imagine that if you want to run quanta in GNOME you just need the
libraries.  Download the KDELIBS package and install that, then do your
port install of Quanta.

  pkg_add -r kdelibs

will fetch the pre-compiled KDE library and install it for you.

--
TTFN, FNORD

Peter McGarvey
System Administrator