Symlinks

Dominic Mitchell dom at happygiraffe.net
Tue Feb 12 14:46:22 GMT 2002

On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 02:17:30PM +0000, Paul Robinson wrote:
> On Feb 12, Sam Smith <S at mSmith.net> wrote:
>
> > perl?
>
> Wihtout wanting to turn this into a group design thread, perl is bad idea
> for reasons of scalability. Whilst it's cool to have a DNS daemon on a small
> box written in Perl to try out ideas, it's not what you would want a
> high-load server to be running. Maybe for prototyping, but personally I'd
> probably favour C for final implementations of stuff that is going to be
> doing a lot of work. Anyway...

Just to offer a counter-opinion before leaving this thread, there's
nothing wrong with using Perl.  Like all languages, you write your code,
run your profiler and optimize the hot spots.  For a scripting language
like Perl or Python, that includes moving speed-sensitive routines to C
(or even assembly).  There's nothing intrinsically wrong with scripting
languages.

To bring the point firmly around, look at how many people are running
apache/mod_perl in high load situations out there.

-Dom