Further investigation

Dominic Marks dominic_marks at btinternet.com
Fri Feb 8 14:06:17 GMT 2002

Hey,

On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 01:38:06PM +0000, Natalie Ford wrote:
> OK.  Here goes.
>
> I have just reissued the cvsup -g -L2 ports-supfile in case the last
> cvsup picked up something dodgy.
>
> I have retried the make on kde.
>
> I watched every line as it scrolled up the screen, this time, and I
> noticed that it says it needs qt 2.4 but then proceeds to try to
> build qt-2.3.1_1

That's normal (and correct).

> While it is trying to do this build, I now get repeatedly the error
> that it can't cd to src/moc

Bizarre.

> I have to ^c to get out of that.
>
> As an aside, the reason I want to try kde is that I want to try
> quanta, a web development environment.  http://quanta.sourceforge.net/
>
> It is written for kde.
>
> Will it run on gnome if i install it anyway?

You can run KDE applications under Gnome and vise versa as long as the
required toolkits are in place. Unfortunately in your case this means
Qt.

> Should I upgrade my fbsd from 4.3 to 4.4 or 4.5?

If you wish. For your uses I don't suppose that'll you see much of a
different however.

> If so, what should I backup first?

Just your personal files.

> I am really sorry to keep bugging you guys...

People who subscribe to this list should expect to be bugged, so its no
problem :)

> --
> Natalie Ford .................................. natalie at ourshack.com

One way or another you'll want to get a copy of Qt. There are a couple
of choices for you, and you need to be able to resume the download. I
suggest the following:

Type the following commands:
(Lines prefixed with > mean as a normal user, ones with # mean as root.)

> ftp ftp.uk.freebsd.org
cd /pub/FreeBSD/ports/packages/x11-toolkits
(youll need to type this at the ftp> prompt)
lcd ~
bin
get qt-2.3.1_1.tgz
(download as much of qt as you can, until your disconnected)
quit
(back at the shell prompt rather than at ftp>)
===
> ls -l ~/qt-2.3.1_1.tgz
(make a note, mental or otherwise, of the size of the file in bytes)
> ftp ftp.uk.freebsd.org
cd /pub/FreeBSD/ports/packages/x11-toolkits
lcd ~
bin
rest NUMBER
(number is the size we made a note of before, the amount we downloaded)
get qt-2.3.1_1.tgz
(this will restart the download where we got disconnected)
repeat
===

Keep doing the section enclosed with === until you have the complete
file, then:

# pkg_add -v /home/username/qt-2.3.1_1.tgz

Install the Qt package. Remember to replace username with your accounts
name.

You should then hopefully be able to go back and build KDE successfully.

--
Dominic

==> Blatant EMail Abuse Start
 {I'm looking for a summer job. If your based in or around London and
 need some skivvy work doing by an impoverished student :) please mail
 me privately, I can code (best to ask if you need specifics) and Admin,
 ... and make tea, use a photocopier, Thanks}
<== Blatant EMail Abuse Stop