Jadetec micro PC

Dominic Marks dominic_marks at btinternet.com
Fri Feb 8 12:43:37 GMT 2002

Hey,

On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 11:30:09AM +0000, Robin Melville wrote:
> Dear all
>
> I just bought a Jadetec microPC (turns out to be a rebadged EZgo) to
> replace an old K6 for development and taking to database/web demos.
> (It's really small but with a strangely noisy fan)
>
> This is a 1.1 GHz PIII on a 133MHz bus. Strangely, it seems to run
> hardly any faster than the K6 did, and there's an eerie delay between
> typing a command and it happening.
>
> Has anybody set up FreeBSD on this machine, or have any tips as to
> how to make it run at a reasonable speed?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Robin.

What percentage of CPU is devoted to interrupts?

dom at gallium:/home/dom$ vmstat -i | tail -1
Total                     3652124        244

This is a PII 450Mhz being used for my desktop, I've got XFree86,
enlightenment, XMMS, and some terminals running - as well as some
background daemons (samba, postfix, fetchmail) I'm wondering if you have
a problem with the chipset.

Of course, I might be talking nonsense :)

<snip/>

My kernel configuration: (for comparative purposes)

==> /sys/i386/conf/GALLIUM
machine         i386
cpu             I686_CPU
ident           GALLIUM
maxusers        32

options         INET
options         FFS
options         SOFTUPDATES
options         UFS_DIRHASH
options         COMPAT_43
options         SYSVSHM
options         SYSVMSG
options         SYSVSEM
# these can go if you don't need them, useful for applications which
# like to use shared memory. Try opening KDE Konqueror with it compiled
# in and then without

device          isa
device          pci
device          ata0    at isa? port IO_WD1 irq 14
device          ata1    at isa? port IO_WD2 irq 15
device          ata
device          atadisk
device          atapicd
device          atkbdc0 at isa? port IO_KBD
device          atkbd0  at atkbdc? irq 1 flags 0x1
device          psm0    at atkbdc? irq 12
device          vga0    at isa?
device          sc0     at isa? flags 0x100
device          npx0    at nexus? port IO_NPX irq 13
device          ppbus

pseudo-device   loop
pseudo-device   ether
pseudo-device   pty
<==

Everything else I need is loaded from modules listed in loader.conf

==> /boot/loader.conf
usb_load="YES"
ums_load="YES"
if_xl_load="YES"
if_tun_load="YES"
snd_es137x_load="YES"
<==

--
Dominic

==> Blatant EMail Abuse Start
 {I'm looking for a summer job. If your based in or around London and
 need some skivvy work doing by an impoverished student :) please mail
 me privately, I can code (best to ask if you need specifics) and Admin
 ... and make tea and use a photocopier :) Thanks}
<== Blatent EMail Abuse Stop