Freebsd-users digest, Vol 1 #886 - 12 msgs

Dominic Mitchell dom at happygiraffe.net
Fri Feb 8 08:41:36 GMT 2002

On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 01:34:22AM +0000, Rik wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 10:13:24PM +0000, Ben Paley wrote:
> > I'll stick to my question: I don't have /etc/make.conf. If I make one with
> > just that line in it, will that work?
>
> Yes. The way I've been making /etc/make.conf is by copying
> /etc/defaults/make.conf and editing, then removing everything beginning
> with a "#", and everything I haven't changed.

You don't actually need to do that.  /etc/default/make.conf gets pulled
in before /etc/make.conf (see /usr/share/mk/sys.mk).

There are a number of interesting things to put in there, though.  Like
you, I have a few SUP* variables so I can do "cd /usr/src && make
update".  I also have NO_SENDMAIL=1 and NO_LPR=1 because I
automatically replace them with postfix and cups from the ports,
respectively.

If you use OpenSSL at all, you may find speed improvements by setting
your CPUTYPE variable.  That means that the correct assembly versions of
the core SSL code will be used instead of the generic ones, which can
speed things up.  Possible values are listed in /etc/defaults/make.conf.

-Dom