[kde-freebsd] Re: I thought I had subscribed but have had no mail...

Natalie Ford natalie at ourshack.com
Thu Feb 7 12:28:18 GMT 2002

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 11:16:20AM +0000, Paul Robinson wrote:
> If you're completely new to the Unix game Linux might get you up and running
> more quickly. What I have found is that those who use Linux a bit, get used
> to it and THEN move over to FreeBSD will never go back to Linux. But those
> who are completely new to it all might find FBSD a bit of a steep learning
> curve for a first time out. It's worth it though.

I prefer FreeBSD already as a user.  I just don't know how to admin
it properly, yet.  :)

It is just that, if I can't get this working, it might be quicker
to use RH which I do know a bit about and have books about.

> If I get time I'll burn up a CD for you and I can send it on to you via
> snail mail. Several on the list have made similar offers. Having the CDs
> really *does* help a lot for this sort of thing, as does a local copy of the
> Handbook to refer to.

Yes please!  TIA...

> > Isn't it fun when a husband leaves you with technology that he could
> > support in his sleep but that you know nothing about?  :-/
> That sounded scournful. :-)

No, but a lot bitter, right now...  :)

> Think of it this way - it's a fantastic CV builder, you WILL get a sense of
> acheivement when it's up and running, you're learning all the time and when
> you look back on it in six months time you might actually consider the whole
> thing to have been a bit of fun.

No real point building my CV - I have M.S. and am signed off unfit
for work indefinitely (well, unable to promise an employer (or
customer for freelance work) that I won't get ill for months at a
time with no notice, actually).

It is interesting, thought, and is something to fill my time...  :)

> But if you really are new to the whole gig, I would reccomend Mandrake to
> get your head around Unixy type systems and then consider moving over.
> Redhat is OK but it's a bit sucky at lots of things, and Mandrake is
> generally a little easier for the novice.

I don't have Mandrake handy and would love to get FreeBSD working
- really I would!  :)

Natalie Ford .................................. natalie at ourshack.com