[kde-freebsd] Re: I thought I had subscribed but have had no mail...

Rik rik at spoon.pkl.net
Tue Feb 5 10:13:20 GMT 2002

On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 01:00:12AM -0800, David Johnson wrote:
> On Monday 04 February 2002 11:59 pm, Natalie Ford wrote:
> > Could you tell me what commands I would need to type, please?  :)

There's 2 ways that count as vaugely sane here. Either you can download
the packages and install those (the easy way), or you can compile it
yourself (the nearly as easy way).

If you haven't yet made an /etc/make.conf, then install from packages.
If you have make an /etc/make.conf, then building the packages yourself
will result in code that's optimised for your machine. That's your
choice. I'm going to provide instructions for both.

Firstly, the packages.
Step 1 - Retrieve packages. The packages come to a total of around 93
megabytes. To install from packages, type:
mkdir ~/downloaded-packages
cd ~/downloaded_packages
ftp ftp.freebsd.org
anonymous
foo at bar.org
cd /pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-4.5-release/All
get kde-i18n-2.2.2.tgz
get kdeadmin-2.2.2.tgz
get kdeartwork-2.2.2.tgz
get kdebase-2.2.2_2.tgz
get kdegames-2.2.2.tgz
get kdegraphics-2.2.2_2.tgz
get kdelibs-2.2.2_3.tgz
get kdenetwork-2.2.2_1.tgz
get kdepim-2.2.2.tgz
get kdesdk-2.2.2.tgz
get kdestudio-2.0.0.tgz
get kdesupport-2.1.tgz
get kdetoys-2.2.2.tgz
get kdeutils-2.2.2.tgz
get kdevelop-2.0.2.tgz
bye

Step 2 - Become root
su
[enter your root password]

Step 3 - Install the packages
pkg_add *

That's it all installed. You may feel free to delete the .tgz files now

Second, the ports method
Step 1 - Install the software
cd /usr/ports/x11/kde2
make install distclean

Now go away and do something for an hour or two, while it works on this.
When you come back, it will have downloaded, extracted, patched,
compiled, installed and tidied up after itself. Cunning.

Unfortunately, the ports tree does require quite a bit more space that
the packages method (I don't know how much space is needed for a KDE
build, but I'll guess around 200 to 300 meg of space). It will also need
an internet connection the whole time, as it will download the source to
a package, and discover that that package depends on another package
which is not yet installed, so it will go and download that other
package, compile, install it, go back to the first, find that it also
depends on another package, download that, compile and install, and so
on. You can avoid this by installing porteasy (/usr/ports/misc/porteasy)
and using that to do all the downloading ahead of time, meaning you can
disconnect from the internet, if you want.

The problem with both of these methods is that they require a lot of
downloading. It may well be easier to get packages from a/the CD. If a
friend downloads the packages and burns them to CD, you can install them
with pkg_add from there. The official CD will also have packages on too.

--
PGP Key: D2729A3F - Keyserver: wwwkeys.uk.pgp.net - rich at rdrose dot org
Key fingerprint = 5EB1 4C63 9FAD D87B 854C  3DED 1408 ED77 D272 9A3F