[kde-freebsd] Re: I thought I had subscribed but have had no mail...

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Tue Feb 5 09:00:12 GMT 2002

On Monday 04 February 2002 11:59 pm, Natalie Ford wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 02:29:01AM +0000, Dominic Marks wrote:
> > I've CC: kde at freebsd.org, the KDE/FreeBSD list, perhaps someone there
> > knows what might be the issue. I suggest using the packages for KDE
> > 2.2.2 which are now available on an ftp server near you,
> > ftp.uk.freebsd.org appears to be carrying to complete set.
>
> Umm, how?  :)
>
> I am a basic user that is having to learn on the run how to do all
> this stuff.  I come from a windows background and only know the
> very basics about unix, let alone FreeBSD.
>
> Could you tell me what commands I would need to type, please?  :)

There are basic three ways to get KDE installed on FreeBSD ->

preface) KDE is not a single package, but a collection of packages, along
with a "meta" package that includes the others. There are also some
prerequisite packages. It can get quite confusing if you're new. Fortunately,
two of the methods to install KDE take care of all the requisite stuff for
you.

1) Use the FreeBSD CDs. For FreeBSD-4.4 and earlier, they will all be on the
first CD. Just insert the CD into your drive, and run sysinstall. The details
of using sysinstall can be found in the FreeBSD handbook, which you should
have installed, or at www.freebsd.org/handbook. You will want to choose the
kde2 meta package (named either kde2-2.2 or kde-2.2 or something like that).
FreeBSD-4.4 will *not* have kde 2.2.2, but only 2.2. If you need a later
version, then you will need option #2 below).

2) Do the same thing but over ftp. Instead of choosing CD/DVD to install
from, choose FTP, then an FTP server near you. The tricky part is that there
is no kde-2.2 meta package to choose (that I could find). So go to the kde
packages and choose kdelibs-2.2.2 and kdebase-2.2.2, along with any other
2.2.2 packages that might interest you (like kdegames, kdegraphics, etc).
Don't choose any 1.1.1 packages, or any with "-i18n-" in their name unless
you want the internationalization packages. All the prerequisite packages,
will be automatically selected for you. (note, there is one 1.1.1 package you
might want, and that is koffice-1.1.1, but it isn't really a kde-1.1.1
package, but a kde-2.2.2 package. Confused? I know I am)

3) Install from the ports system. You should have installed the ports system
when you installed FreeBSD. If you didn't, the handbook will tell you how to
install it. It will also tell you how to actually install a port. The port
you want to use is /usr/ports/x11/kde2.

I'm sorry, but out of the goodness of my heart I can't tell you the exact
steps to use, what keys to press, etc. That's something you need to discover
on your own. But with the above information and the FreeBSD Handbook, you
should be able to do it with little problem.

Good luck and let us know how you fare.

--
David Johnson