sendmail upgrade

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Tue Dec 17 16:07:33 GMT 2002

On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 04:33:41PM +0100, Paul Truran wrote:

> I am currently planning to upgrade my version of sendmail to the latest one,
> in order to make use of the spamassasin mail filtering stuff.  I'm not sure
> what version of sendmail I am running (It will be whichever one ships with
> 4.5) and I will be upgrading to whatever version /usr/ports/mail/sendmail
> contains.  Basically, I would like to know how easy this is going to be.  Is
> it just a question of stopping sendmail, installing the port, and starting it
> again?  I have a few config changes that I need to make from the default
> settings, but nothing too major.  I have had a look on the internet for
> upgrade guides, but there appears to be quite a bit of conflicting
> information, as it seems to depend a lot on what versions are involved.  Any
> pointers/advice would be appreciated.

4.5-RELEASE predates the switch to using a non-setuid sendmail MTA
plus a separate sendmail MSP instance -- which is what you will get if
you install sendmail-8.12.6 from ports.  In your case you should
probably disable sendmail startup from /etc/rc.conf:

   sendmail_enable="NO"   (or "NONE" nowadays)

and use the /usr/local/etc/rc.d/sm-client.sh.sample and
.../sendmail.sh.sample scripts instead.  Installing the port should
create all of the extra userids you need, create you a default
/etc/mail/submit.{mc,cf} and set the permissions on the spool directories
correctly.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way