Reseting atapi cdrw drive

Roger McCalman roger at runcircle.co.uk
Sun Dec 15 02:01:57 GMT 2002

I interrupted a burncd -t (test) operation and now every attempt to use the
cd drive including ejecting the cd fails.

I am using FreeBSD-4 from Sep-1. I have tried using the ioctl's
to CCDIOCRESET, CDIOCALLOW to attempt to reset it but dmesg reports

acd0: PREVENT_ALLOW - ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=0x2c ascq=0x00 error=0x00
acd0: START_STOP - ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=0x2c ascq=0x00 error=0x00
acd0: PAUSE - ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=0x2c ascq=0x00 error=0x00
acd0: PREVENT_ALLOW - ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=0x2c ascq=0x00 error=0x00

does anyone know a way of resetting things without resorting to a reboot?

Cheers, Roger