cvs issues

Lou Kamenov lou.kamenov at aeye.net
Tue Dec 10 16:27:54 GMT 2002

In some email I received from Matthew Seaman
<m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk> on Tue, 10 Dec 2002 16:09:47 +0000 :
> On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 03:40:52PM +0000, Pete French wrote:
> > > A 'zombie' proc stays in the background eating 90% of the
> > > resources, i tried to debug it, but the only thing i could get was
> > > a sigprocmask() kinda loop, and i was wondering if anyone knows
> > > anything about that, or i should dig deeper in the code.
> >
> > I think its a known problem - I've seen it discussed on -STABLE
> > recently, people with cvs servers eating shedloads of CPU time. I
> > didnt pay a lot of attentionthough as I dont run a server myself.
>
> When you say "discussed" I take it you mean the two message thread
> that starts with:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=120504+0+/usr/local/www/db/text/2002/freebsd-stable/20021103.freebsd-stable
>
> That seems to be a specific problem with cvs pserver, which Lou isn't
> using.  Could be related though.
>
> > > my cvs version is 1.11.2, cvsuped today.
> >
> > Hmm, Ithought it had been fixed in the last few days though :-( Try
> > looking through the -STABLE archives for the last couple of weeks.
>
> 1.11.2.1 was imported into CURRENT a week or so ago, but it hasn't
> been MFC'd yet.  The 1.11.2 version in -STABLE predates the report of
> the bugs in the pserver mode (last update of the cvs sources on
> RELENG_4 was on Oct 15) --- I guess we're waiting on the MFC to happen
> to see if that fixes things.

It looks like the fix for it is merged in current
on current:
/usr/src/contrib/cvs/src/server.c,332,4
free (buf->closure);

the patch for server.c:332 was 'buf->shutdown = NULL;'
however.. definitely it  hasn`t been merged with stable.

thanks again.

cheers,
-lou

----

Lou Kamenov	lou at freebsd-bg.org		lou.k at hq.aeye.net
FreeBSD BGUG	http://www.freebsd-bg.org	http://www.aeye.net
Key Fingerprint - 936F F64A AD50 2D27 07E7  6629 F493 95AE A297 084A
One advantage of talking to yourself is that you know at least
somebody's listening. - Franklin P. Jones