modem, serial port & laptop

Frank Shute frank at esperance-linux.co.uk
Tue Dec 10 09:03:54 GMT 2002

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 10:42:42AM +0000, adyas at twowaytv.co.uk wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've had the same problem with a Thinkpad 600.  In my case it happens
> when the serial port has been disabled.  The only way I've found to
> enable it is via the Windows software that came with the machine.
>
> HTH,
>
> Alex..

Thanks Alex, you were spot on. I can enable it in the BIOS; haven't
tested the modem yet but dmesg looked a lot more hopeful so I'm
quietly confident :)

I suppose there must be a reason for being able to enable/disable the
serial port but I'm not too sure what it is. You might want to look
around IBM's site for an upgrade for your BIOS.

--

 Frank

   Boroughbridge.
 Tel: 01423 323019