any cacti/rrdtool users out there?

Lou Kamenov lou.kamenov at aeye.net
Fri Dec 6 10:45:12 GMT 2002

In some email I received from dom at happygiraffe.net (Dominic Mitchell)
tests=IN_REP_TO,SUBJ_ENDS_IN_Q_MARK,AWL version=2.31 on Fri, 6 Dec 2002
03:21:48 +0000 :
> On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 09:38:32PM +0000, Frank Shute wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 11:50:38AM -0000, Robin Garbutt wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm running cati with rrdtool, however on cranking it up by
> > > running the cmd.php file command line i.e:
> > > php /usr/home/cacti/cmd.php
> >
> > I'm afraid I don't know these tools. But it looks like cacti isn't
> > in ports, so it could need some manual configuration to get it
> > going. How much? I don't know.

If you know MRTG, rrdtool(net/rrdtool) is not far from it.
However rrdtool is basically for everything, not only network bandwidth
and nice graphs.
Cacti is just a simple frontend to rrdtool. Also it depends entirely on
php and mysql (AFAIK). And yes it runs on FreeBSD, also there was  a
security issue with it a few months ago.

However i never tried it, may be cause i wasnt interested.

check
http://www.raxnet.net/downloads/scripts/fbsd-stats.pl.txt
or their homepage (www.raxnet.net)

> > > I get:-
> > >
> > > bash-2.05a# php /usr/home/cacti/cmd.php
> > > ping: invalid count of packets to transmit:
> > > `loopback0.gw4.phl1.alter.net'
> >
> > Don't know what this is about.
>
> Sounds like a different syntax between Linux ping and FreeBSD ping.
> Possibly use of the -c option.

i have to disappoint you - the syntax is the same.

> > > /usr/bin/smbstatus: not found

This is obvious.

> > That sounds like it's looking for some samba stuff.
>
> Also it's looking in the wrong place.  FreeBSD installs it in
> /usr/local/bin.
>
> > > cat: /proc/meminfo: No such file or directory
> >
> > Look at: man 5 procfs
> > It doesn't make any mention of /proc/meminfo. Perhaps it appears on
> > Linux procfs? If I remember correctly, it does.
>
> Yep, these are Linux only.  The same information is available in
> FreeBSD from other sources (top(1) being one, some from sysctl(8) and
> some from pstat(8)).

Nope, that`s not the problem, the problem is again - obvious.
Cacti/rrdtool _wasnt_ configured, or even if it was i dont think it was
configured properly.

Also i really strongly recommend, read the manpage if there is any, read
the README/INSTALL/UPDATE/CHANGES files, if something`s wrong ask
google, if google doesnt know - nobody knows.

cheers,
-lou

----

Lou Kamenov	lou at FreeBSD-bg.org		lou.k at hq.aeye.net
FreeBSD BGUG	http://www.freebsd-bg.org	http://www.aeye.net
Key Fingerprint - 936F F64A AD50 2D27 07E7  6629 F493 95AE A297 084A
One advantage of talking to yourself is that you know at least
somebody's listening. - Franklin P. Jones